Friday, March 15, 2013

Wicked by Jill Barnett

4 Stars
It gets 4 stars instead of 5 because I need my romances to have some other element to them.  I need some adventure or mystery or danger!  It didn’t get 3 stars either because the romance was so well done over time that I thoroughly enjoyed it regardless of the lack of a secondary story line. 
The main characters are Sofia Howard and Sir Tobin de Clare.  They meet when she is twelve and he is fifteen and they are at a wedding celebration of some noble.  Three years later they meet again that ends in disaster.  I could feel the humiliation then! Then it is another two years before their next encounter (I think).  This is where the battle of the wills begins.  They can both be terrible, but some of the things that Sir Tobin does or says to Sofia because of her pride are hurtful and I can completely understand why she makes the decisions that she does. 
I thought I would be bored with Sofia’s time at the convent but I actually really loved that part and getting to meet Judith, the warrior nun! 
I will definitely read more Jill Barnett books in the future.  This one is the third in a series, but I didn’t feel lost at all for not having read the first two.  I do wish to know the story with Merrick and Sir Roger and their ladies fair. 
Favorite Quote: This is Sir Tobin
“He wondered what she would think if she knew the truth – if she knew that he had been forced by the King to earn her hand.  Knowing Sofia, she would not think about what he’d had to do for her hand, but instead she would be incensed that she was but a prize to be given to anyone who did the King’s bidding.”

No comments:

Post a Comment