Thursday, January 17, 2013

Prince of Wolves by Quinn Loftis (#1 in The Grey Wolves Series)

3 Stars
I have mixed feelings about this book.  I have never read anything by this author.  I actually got another book lent to me in the middle of reading this book and I thought, “well I can just finish this book up after I get the other one read.”  But in fact I couldn’t get into the loaned book (which shall remain unnamed for its own protection).  So I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline and kept thinking about it when I wasn’t reading it.  However, it really really needs to be edited.  The author would really benefit from some good beta readers.  There are many books in this series so I am willing to gamble that the editing gets better the further the author moves into the publishing world.  Also this first book is free so am I really able to complain about typos on a free book?  I don’t know.
My other problem was the character development.  Many of the characters seemed two dimensional and some of them were downright annoying!  I am pretty sure the author was trying to show how close the three girls were but I wouldn’t care if I never heard about them again.  They would say the stupidest things.  And Jacque would also say stupid things and through temper tantrums that were quite annoying.  Perhaps the author intends to show how mature she is able to become over the course of the series, but right now I do not like those girls. 
I’m not gonna give a summary because the official summary pretty much says it all.  I thought that the love story between Fane and Jacque (how do you pronounce that by the way?  Some places it was spelled Jac so is the author saying that Jacque would be pronounced like Jackie and that Jac is pronounced like Jack?).
I am going to read the next book and hope for better editing and less annoying stupid talk from the three girls. This series has the potential to be amazing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment