Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh (Psy Changeling Series #1)

4.5 stars
This is the first book in this series.  It is quite an extensive series.  I think there is something like twelve books out now with novellas in between!  I can’t believe I never read this series…and then I look at the cover.  It’s just so hideous!  It kinda makes me want to vomit.  Note to whoever designs book covers: don’t make them hideous and stop putting half naked guys on them…it’s embarrassing. 
The premise of the book is like many others.  Guy meets girl and is intrigued and pursues her, much to her own discomfort.  However, all the details are what make this book into something you haven’t read before.  This being the first book I’ve read I am sure that I will get some things wrong or miss out.  There are humans (which I am not sure we even meet one human in here…maybe Lucas’s receptionist?), Changelings (which are shifters, not what the fae leave you when they steal your baby), and then the Psy.  The Psy are a race that are very focused on things of the mind.  They have undergone something called “Silence” which appears to be a conditioning program to eliminate all things emotional from their repertoire. 
The main characters are Lucas Hunter who is the alpha for a clan of leopards with some serious emotional baggage.  He is about to enter into the first ever business arrangement between Psy and Changelings.  His Psy contact is Sascha Duncan.  Sascha is the daughter of a Psy council member (the council is the governing body).  Sascha is a cardinal (a very powerful Psy), but has basically failed as she has no unique power as all cardinal’s do.  To throw more gasoline on the fire, the Changelings are searching for a serial killer that dwells amongst the Psy and are using Sascha to get information. 
I really enjoyed the book.  Sometimes I read so many indie books that I forget what a good editor does to the book!  The characters were great too.  Neither of them annoyed me and while I knew the ending I didn’t know how the author was going to get there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment