Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Smoke Thief by Shana Abe (Drākon)

4.5 Stars

This book not new and had been in my TBR pile for quite some time. Now I am wondering what took me so long because I pretty much loved every second of it. There is a lovely prologue. For me, prologue are hit or miss. Sometimes they are essential, sometimes they are just annoying. This one was essential and wonderfully done. It is the history of the drākon done in very brief but important passages.

Summary:

Clarissa Hawthorne was a half breed. Her father was human (or as they are called in this book, “other”) and her mother was drākon (dragon…obviously). Because of this half breed status she is not treated well by any except her mother who is sick. This is all we know of young Clarissa.

Christoff Langford is the alpha of the drākon and also a marquess in the ton. Word comes to the tribe that there is a thief in London who can walk through walls and disappear. They know instantly that this is one of the drākon who has managed to escape. Escape is forbidden and punishable by death. They take themselves off to London to catch this thief and instead find a surprise. No female has been able to make the turn from person to smoke to dragon in centuries, but it appears there is one living in London in secret. Christoff, naturally, decides he must have her. The rest of the story is about a diamond that must be recovered as it is the heart of the tribe, the female dragon that is more obstinate and elusive than the council predicted and catching the smoke thief.

After finishing this story, I immediately purchased the second book. I assure you its life in my TBR pile will be short lived. I didn’t find any of the characters to be annoying which is a big plus for this author. The next book appears to be about the next generation of drākon.

Favorite Quote:

“No, love. From now on, your home is with me.” –Christoff Langford

No comments:

Post a Comment