Saturday, August 17, 2013

Rock Chick Revolution by Kristen Ashley (Rock Chick #8)




4 Stars

This is the last book in this series, but I doubt it is the last we will see of these characters.  That is something I love about this author.  We often get to visit with our old friends in the new books.  There are so very many people that you meet in this book that it is hard to say good-bye.  So while I enjoyed this book immensely, it isn’t my favorite Rock Chick story.  It would be hard for this book to be a favorite in this series for two reasons: 1.) there has been so much build-up and this series is so fantastic how do you create an ending that is better than anything that came before it and 2.) it’s the end of an era so it is inherently going to be bittersweet.

Summary:

This is Ally Nightingale and Lorenzo Zano’s story.  This has been brewing since Ava’s story (book #5).  The reader gets a brief recap of the most important encounters over this time period.  The current time picks up right where Breathe (Colorado Mountain Man #4) ends.  Ren is mad at Ally for taking the risk she did in Breathe.  They have it out.  Darius and Brody have been working with Ally to give her guidance and backup as she takes on more private investigator type jobs.  She has found what she wants to do with her life, she just has to get the rest of her loved ones on board.  This is dangerous work and they want to keep her safe.  There are a lot of little dramas that happen throughout the book with different cases that come up for Ally, but not one big issue that is following throughout like a typical Rock Chick book. 

Thoughts:

 A part that I liked about this book is that the start of Ally and Ren was a while ago.  We got glimpses of it in some of the other girls’ books so we knew it was coming.  This is more like real life so I like that.  A part I didn’t like about this book is that the start of Ally and Ren was a while ago.  I know…what is my problem?  How can I like it and dislike it at the same time.  My favorite parts of the Rock Chick books are the Rock Chicks and Hot Bunch going head to head.  I love the arguments!  I love the struggles of both the Rock Chick and Hot Bunch trying to come to grips with what is happening and their new feelings.

What I also didn’t like was that Ren hooked up with Ally first in Ava’s story, but then when Ava wants back, he is all about this, then when Ava chooses Luke (again) he apologizes to Ally for being a jerk.  I like that he can apologize, but this is not something I like to read about.  My Hot Bunch need to be sure about their Rock Chick once they have found her.  I like Ren, but when I think about this Ava business it makes me say, “Yuck Ren!” 

I also never got a good image in my head of what Ally and Ren look like.  I’m going to have to visit the “casting couch” again on Goodreads. 

I’ve read a few reviews where the people were quite upset that Kristen Ashley is used as Jane’s nom de plume.  They said it was self serving and self promoting.  This didn’t bother me in the slightest.  Nobody is reading Rock Chick #8 without knowing that they are reading a Kristen Ashley book.  In the book, Jane is the author but because of her personality she doesn’t want this known to anyone.  I thought it was kind of clever and it amused me.  Obviously, people differ on this.  I read one review where the reader stopped reading the book, it bothered her that much. 

Overall, Ally isn’t my favorite Rock Chick, I am not sure that Ren is even included in the Hot Bunch and the story line was only slightly better than Jet’s and Stella’s (obviously my least favorite J).  However, I can’t wait to read about Mace’s team in L.A.

(One of) My Favorite Quote(s):  Ren to Ally when she made a comment about his drink order:

“Know you’re tight with men who drink blood and eat nails, babe, but just to say, what a man drinks does not make that man.”


I chose that quote because most of my other favorites either contained too much potty language or too much smexy talk.   

No comments:

Post a Comment