Monday, July 29, 2013

Honor’s Splendour by Julie Garwood



3.5 Stars

I always round my stars up, but if I could I would give this book 3.5 stars. It was better than average in the story line and very good writing style, but at times it seemed to drag. The narration is done with third person omniscient. It is a little odd at times to go back and forth from one paragraph to the next in these characters minds.

Summary:

Baron Duncan Wexton has vengeance in mind when he goes to Baron Louddon’s fortress unarmed. He has a plan, but Louddon’s sister has one of her own. She quickly aids Duncan in his escape and in so doing puts herself right where Duncan wants her. Besides his other plans, he came to take Madelyne with him. She wanted away from Louddon anyway so she goes with Duncan but still plans to make her way to Scotland.

Thoughts:

Anyone can see what will happen next. Of course our fair maiden falls for our handsome, fierce warrior. And our warrior finds his world turned upside down. This predictability didn’t detract from the storyline at all. In fact, I needed them to fall for each other. If they didn’t, I should be thoroughly put out. Madelyne was constantly telling everyone that she was a gentle lady. And then things would come out of her mouth like this:

“You can rid yourself of that frown, Edmond, or I promise God I’ll smack it right off your face.”

Of course there is more to the story. Louddon has his own plans for Madelyne and won’t give her up. Hearing her talk about her worthlessness was very sad to read it would make my stomach drop. Soon, Madelyne had charmed everyone in Duncan’s fortress and she gained self worth. I absolutely loved the beginning and the end, but the middle was a bit long.

Favorite Quote: (this is between Duncan and his brother Edmond)

“It’s a shame you know,” he called over his shoulder.

“What’s a shame?” Duncan asked.

“That I didn’t capture her first.”

Duncan smiled. “Nay, Edmond, it was a blessing. God’s truth, I would have taken her from you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment