Friday, November 2, 2012

Marti Talbot's Highlander Series I



I am so pleasantly surprised by this book.  I am definitely going to get the next book in the series (once October 1st hits as my book allowance will allow that).  I am always a little bit leery of the free books and I tend to have a little bit more lenient review for free books because…well they are free. 

As you can see from the title of the book, this book is actually a compilation of three novellas featuring first Anna, then Rachel and finishing with Charlet.  I loved each of the stories by themselves, but they created a larger story that I loved as well. 

Anna is sent to marry Laird Kevin MacGreagor sight unseen.  However, when she arrives she is a little worse for wear.  She was taught that she should fear the highlanders and when they find her badly beaten they are angry and she is more frightened.  The rest of the story is the story of Anna and Kevin and how they grow together. 

Rachel is Anna’s little sister.  She was barely four years old when she came to live with the MacGreagor’s.  Connor has loved Rachel for a long time and it appears that she can’t stand him.  There is trouble with a near-by clan and Rachel is the scout to find out the other clan’s plans.  She gets into a bit of trouble on one of these missions and Connor goes out of his mind with worry. 

Charlet is the baby that was found on MacGreagor land sixteen years.  Now the English are after her, to wed or kill her, and every Laird in Scotland wants to marry her to keep her from the English.  In an effort to save her, Laird Kevin MacGreagor sends her away with Blair Cameron (Laird Thomas Cameron’s second) to keep her safe. 

My criticism only applies to the first two books with Anna and Rachel.  They both have reasons to not like small spaces and I understand this, but the way they acted on these feelings was annoying to me.  It could be that I don’t have any irrational fears that I didn’t like that aspects.  I found their mother to be selfish.

Overall I really enjoyed these.  The descriptions of the land, people, dress etc was wonderful.  The stories are short enough to keep my attention the entire time.    

No comments:

Post a Comment