Friday, November 16, 2012

Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning


I debated whether to include this
scandalous book cover, but it
adds  more interest to the post
so I apologize for the cheesy-ness.
 This is the first book in the Highlander series.  This is the first book I have ever read from this author.  The POV in this novel appears to be omniscient.  This is a fairly new narrative for me, and while it felt odd at times, I actually liked it.  I enjoyed getting to be in the head of both of the characters in the same scene.  A few times it was tricky as I didn’t realize I had switched from Adrienne to Hawk, but it didn’t take long to figure it out.  I certainly wouldn’t want every book I read to be an omniscient POV, but I liked this one. 
Adrienne de Simone is from the year 1997 and she has a tragic past that you are told in bits and pieces.  Without revealing too much, Adrienne was an orphan.  She fell in love with a man named Everhard (weird name!), and then something tragic happened and she now considers herself to be on the lam.  Due to some interference from the fair folk, Adrienne is transported back in time to the early 1500’s.  She ends up married to a man who is interchangeably referred to as both “Hawk” and “the Hawk.”  Adrienne has become the pawn in which the fair folk (or more precisely, a particular fae) use to get revenge on the Hawk. 
Hawk is instantly smitten with his unwanted wife and Adrienne is constantly working to spurn him.  She doesn’t like beautiful men.  She has been ill used by Everhard and has no use for beautiful men.  Hawk has his work cut out for him to win her over.  Once he does (because there is no question that he will) there is still the problem of the fair folk to deal with.  They want their revenge and they won’t be denied. 
I will definitely be buying the next book in the series.  And she has another series called the fever series that is supposed to be awesome so I will be delving into that as well (once December starts and my book allowance is back! Yes, that does mean that I have spent all my money for November).  

Favorite Quote: 
"Good. Because he wants my wife, and she doesn't want me.  And I saw her wanting him with a hurt in her eyes."  --Hawk to his friend Grimm about the nefarious Smithy   

No comments:

Post a Comment