Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Will by Kristen Ashley (The Magdalene Series)

The Will (Magdalene, #1)
I keep debating between 3.5 and 4 stars, but I always round up anyway so let’s move on from that.

This book reminded me more of old school Kristen Ashley. I have read all of her books, but her recent releases have lost something for me. My all-time favorite is the Rock Chick series, which along with the budding romance has drama and action. While this one didn’t have the action that I love, I did enjoy most of the book.

Josephine Malone is the granddaughter of Lydia Malone who is a beloved matriarch of Magdalene, Maine. When she dies she has left some odd requests in her will. Because of this Josie is thrown together with Jake Spear and his family. These two are polar opposites and don’t get along very well, but Lydia wanted them to be friends so when trouble finds Josie, Jake is there to take her back.

I enjoyed Josie a lot. I’ve read some reviews of others who didn’t like her. She spoke in a very proper way which was part of the barriers Josie had built in her life. She is in love with her boss of twenty years.

Jake was a boxer and an owner of the town’s strip club. Not my favorite thing. There was a strip club in the Rock Chick series, but none of the heroes owned it and went there primarily to keep an eye on their trouble magnet ladies. It wasn’t a huge part of the book but I could have done without it. He could have done a variety of other vaguely illicit things that would have been more palatable.

Overall, I am looking forward to reading Coert’s story and will keep reading this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment