Monday, May 4, 2015

Rising Darkness by Shannon Mayer (Rylee Adamson #9)


5 stars

I love Rylee.  She is a heroine I rarely get annoying with.  Since reading book #8, I had managed to forget that Rylee was pregnant and Liam was dead.  How could I forget this?  I don’t know, but it crushed me once more.  Pamela has been training with Deanna and trying to help those afflicted with the plague with her meager healing skills.  She is resentful that Rylee has been gone for 6 months.  Milly is coming to her in her dreams and feeding this resentment.  Only we know it can’t be Milly, or rather it can’t be just Milly.  Pamela runs away when Rylee returns and Frank follows her right to Milly.  Rylee can’t go after her because she has 4 days in which to find the Destroyer. 

I didn’t read the novella between book 8 and 9 and I think it would have been very helpful.  I got by without it, but definitely didn’t know why Faris was with Rylee, who the Destroyer was and who the new kitty, Peta was.  It becomes clear pretty quick that Liam’s soul is inside Faris (which I would have known had I read the novella I am guessing).  This is causing Rylee quick a bit of confusion. 

As usual there is a lot going on.  Rylee has to find the Destroyer.  Pamela gets her own little storyline as she grapples with her inner darkness.  Liam/Faris have issues (as you can imagine).  And of course there is lots and lots of fighting.  One good thing is that while Rylee is gone she trains with her uncle and is a better fighter than she has ever been.  I enjoyed not feeling like she was so frail all the time.  A lot of time in previous books it feels like Rylee is always just at the point of breaking physically. 

No comments:

Post a Comment