Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles #2)


4 stars

This is the second book of four.  I have been putting off reading it because the first one is such a cliff hanger.  I HATE that! I now have Scarlet and Cress but apparently Winter won’t be out until a year from now!  That is a really long time to wait when they aren’t standalone books!  Never-the-less I decided I had two in my wheelhouse so I was going to read Scarlet. 

The storyline goes back and forth between Cinder (in prison), Emperor Kai, and Scarlet.  Most of the time is spent with Scarlet though.  She lives with her grandmother and delivers the produce from their farm to local restaurants.  Her grandmother is missing and the authorities don’t care.  She meets Wolf who appears to be able to help her.  They of course run into a variety of trouble on their way to rescue grandmother.  Cinder breaks out of prison and has reluctantly acquired an accomplice.  She is deciding where to go to hide and Queen Levana has released her horde and started attacking Earth under the guise of the missing Lunar Fugitive (Cinder).  

I found Scarlet to be a bit annoying at times.  Where Cinder is thoughtful and quiet and thinks things through, Scarlet is brash with a temper to match her hair.  She doesn’t seem to think before she acts a lot of the time.  Overall I liked her, but I have a hard time liking any character who is quick to anger.
Regardless, I plan to read Cress then wait (not so) patiently for the final installment. 

I do really like the covers though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment